Friday 21 June 2013

Digital Print

For one of my pieces, I wanted to do a digital print. I wanted to use one of the edited images I had done on Photoshop. I got some test prints done on cotton and muslin. The cotton worked really well, but it was the muslin that I wanted.





As I tested it out as small samples, it seemed to work, but there was a chance that it may not as the muslin was such a thin material, the digital printer was not made for something so fine. It was a risk to get it done. I had to wait as there were a lot of people who wanted something printed. 
As the roll of fabric that went along the printer was about a meter and a half wide, I had to think about the size of my image and how wide I wanted the piece to be. I wanted it to be roughly the same size as the other ones, which were just under half a meter, so I had done test prints with different sized images. The Elephant atta edit seemed to work brilliantly, even when blown up to a bigger size, but the Tilda edit didn't, as it seemed a little pixelated already, and when I blew that up to A1, I had lost some of the design, so I decided to stick with the Elephant atta edited image. One of the problem with this was that the colours were really light, and as I wanted the print on muslin, the smudges were bright red, and if it were to smudge, it would be clearly visible, which I didn't want. 


This was the image I chose to use. However, another problem that occurred was that I wanted this to be put into a 3 meter repeat before being printed. There were 2 ways of doing that, one being on the program used to print the actual length, or using Photoshop. I chose to use Photoshop, as I had already known how to use the basics. Whilst doing this, I realised that you could clearly see that when the images were put into a repeat, they were all separate, and I didn't want this to be visible.


This is what it would have looked like if it was printed - it was clearly visible that the image had been put together. 
So I had to edit the image again, and add extra flowers to the top edge so when it was put into a repeat, the image and design flowed together better. 

This had been put into a repeat on Photoshop, so all I had to do now was wait.  


No comments:

Post a Comment