Tuesday 16 April 2013

FMP Pitch

Well, where to start with this? I really didn't have a clue about what I wanted to do. I went to London and thought I'd get some inspiration and visit some galleries. I think the place that I got a lot out of was the V&A museum as it has a large textile and fashion area, and found that they had a lot of garments that were embroidered with sequins and beads which I love and may want to incorporate into what I do. From this and a visit to the Fashion and Textiles Museum, I saw a lot of garments - more than any other textile pieces and this really made me want to make a garment. What I want to do is design it and see it right through to the end, so it is almost like a journey and the starting point would be continued on from my previous project. However, I don't want it to be where it is just a repeat of what I have done before. I want to start with the traditional indian patterns and bring them right up to date with the modern and contemporary world so I can give them a different look altogether.
One way of doing this is to start off with the same sort of pattern as before, but as the scale that they are in is very small and I tend to work very small, I would like to work on a larger scale and blow up the same patterns.
I did this with the patterns from the previous unit and blew them up. It gave them a whole different identity. Also, the thing with India is that a lot of garments and other items that are made there are made by hand, and when these patterns were blown up, some of them became broken and the patterns didn't remain pristine. Usually, I wouldn't like this as I like things to be small and pristine, but this I quite liked, and I think that perhaps it will put me out of my comfort zone and challenge me, but maybe that's the whole point of it.
For my primary source of research to create my own patterns, I want to go out and photograph flowers, leaves etc and then draw and stylise them to create my very own patterns. To start off, I have already taken pictures of some flowers that were in the textiles room. They didn't look real. They almost look like paper flowers that had been dyed round the edges. I suppose this could become my starting point as to create my own floral designs I need to photograph flowers
I would still want to have a look at the traditional patterns and where they have come from, and how they have changed over time to become contemporary. This will help me to do this myself and design something creative, contemporary and unique.
I have researched some designers from India and who showcase in India Fashion Week. One of these who is recognised across the globe is Manish Arora. I think one of the reasons that I am drawn to his work is the way his heritage and surroundings influence and have an impact upon his fashion. One thing I love about his creations are the way that they are full of bold punches of colour and gold embellishments. I want to incorporate this into my design as well.
However, the most important aspect of the whole process is the design and that is something that I want to research and use different techniques to experiment to get right. 

Artists/Designers
                                                                       Manish Arora

 
 
 
     McQueen - Flower Dress
 
 
Indian Vogue - Victoria Beckham
 

 
 
Sabyasachi Mukherjee
 
 
 
Neeta Lulla
 
 
 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment